Friday, September 29, 2017

Sara: Day 26

What a lovely ride! Today’s 78 miles from Navasota to Livingston took us over gently rolling hills on roads as smooth as butter, through the Sam Houston National Forest and a string of quaint little towns, and passed idyllic farms punctuated by white picket fences. Aside from a few stretches of heavy traffic and missing shoulder, it was perfect and picturesque. I’m afraid I’m starting to like Texas. And cycling.

I spent a lot of time today thinking about how much I’ve enjoyed the change in landscape. Don’t get me wrong, the blowing dust, blazing sun, and triple-digit temperatures of the American Southwest were great, but there’s a lot to be said for greenery. And trees. For starters, there’s the physical comfort offered by shade as well as the psychological comfort of feeling surrounded by life when you’re on isolated roads for 8 hours a day. Maybe the former will help with the wicked bike glove tan lines I’m rocking these days. The newfound freshness of the air is invigorating. The passing logging trucks smell much better than the trucks passing us the last 3 weeks. Even the roadkill smells better. Maybe it’s my imagination, but I’m also picking up on a direct correlation between abundance of vegetation and desirability of nearby towns. If Lordsburg, Sierra Blanca, Sanderson and, more recently, Johnson City, Brenham, and New Waverly are any indication, then my story checks out.

Tomorrow we’ll pick up in Kerrville to cover our missing rides. I’m excited to get those behind us and return to our normal routine.


From my favorite stretch of road today in Sam Houston National Forest

A rare action shot actually captured by the GoPro - George jumping on the bike

Crossing Lake Conroe in Sam Houston National Forest


No comments:

Post a Comment

George: Epilogue - Sunday, 22OCT’17

It has been exactly one week since Sara and I crossed the corporation limit sign for the town of St. Augustine culminating a 42-day, 2760-m...