Tuesday, October 24, 2017

George: Epilogue - Sunday, 22OCT’17

It has been exactly one week since Sara and I crossed the corporation limit sign for the town of St. Augustine culminating a 42-day, 2760-mile bicycle tour across the United States, traveling through eight states. It has been a hallmark of my life. 

I wish to thank my daughter for asking me to participate in the epic ride. And I wish to thank Susan for her sacrifice in sagging for us. It is a lonely, thankless and boring job that she handled with an elegant grace that she has shown all her life. Particularly gratifying to me was sharing this time with both of them. 

Sara began the journey with minimal experience on the bike. In the beginning it showed dramatically; in the end, she handled the bicycle like an experienced rider. Her tenacity at times frustrating was at other times inspiring. If it were not for her, I would have quit at half dozen stages. In the end, our elation upon arriving in St. Augustine made it all worthwhile. 

The ride could not have happened without St. Susan. She kept us fed during the actual riding, she scouted the roads ahead for danger, and she chose appropriate rest stops. Susan made all the lodging arrangements and found us great dinner spots. From time to time she purchased supplies and laundered our clothes. Most of all, even though she was not on the bike, she kept us grounded in the realities of the tour helping us make wise decisions. Without her we would have struggled much more than we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

George: Epilogue - Sunday, 22OCT’17

It has been exactly one week since Sara and I crossed the corporation limit sign for the town of St. Augustine culminating a 42-day, 2760-m...