Thursday, September 7, 2017

Sara: Day 4

Today’s ride from El Centro to Blythe was another flat one – yay! At one point in the middle of nowhere, I noticed a burly man with a hay hook limping down the road (Google “hay hook”; it looks more intimidating than it sounds). He looked like Edgar from ‘Men in Black’.

I was thrilled to be cruising by on the intersecting road because this was a Criminal Minds episode waiting to happen. Naturally, his road ended up being our turn… and was the spot my dad picked to stop, turn off our bike lights, review the map, etc.… and before I realized what was happening, my dad was off asking the man about the quality of the road ahead of us, clearly leaving me no choice but to ride off. I wasn’t about to let my mom get a video of both of us being tortured.

Well, my dad survived – and the “road” ahead of us for the next 5 miles proved to be its own special form of torture. It may have been better to see what Edgar had in store.

About halfway through the ride, I noticed I had picked up some new freckles. I added it to the mental list of maladies to review with my mom and started brainstorming everything that might be wrong with me. It took about 10 minutes for me to connect the dots (literally) that the bugs I was spitting out were the same coating my arms, chest, and legs. That, coupled with a nearly disastrous run-in with a butterfly, meant for a much anticipated shower this afternoon.

Our hotel tonight is next to a Taco Bell. I probably won’t drag my parents there for dinner, but it’s comforting to know it’s so close.

Today's torturous road...

...and sand dunes

5 comments:

  1. You misspelled "gross" (the last word in your post).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, they serve breakfast now....... tell me you grabbed some on the way out!
    Loving these updates.....
    Sending you energy and butterfly domination skillzzzz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally could've grabbed a 4th meal without them waking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

George: Epilogue - Sunday, 22OCT’17

It has been exactly one week since Sara and I crossed the corporation limit sign for the town of St. Augustine culminating a 42-day, 2760-m...