Sunday, September 10, 2017

George: Sunday, 10SEP’17 – Buckeye, AZ to Apache Junction, AZ

The synopsis of the day: We got on the bike at 6:00am; we rode 75 miles; we got off the bike at 1:30. I think the extended version is somewhere below.

It is remarkable to me that I can feel so good starting out in the morning and feel so exhausted in the afternoon. The heat is a big factor. In the evening I sink into a deep sleep, waking a couple of times during the night. Early on I wonder if I can proceed tomorrow. As nighttime ages, I feel rested and assured that tomorrow is just another bike ride. I told someone on the bike trail today that I have a new appreciation of the desert and its effect on anyone outside for an extended period of time. My prior knowledge of these outback places came from watching the movie “Hombre.” If you haven’t seen it, it’s a good one.

As has been the routine for the last 5 days, we awoke at 5:00am to the chimes of Sara’s phone. I am always awake but do not stir until the other two are moving. Our efficiency at getting ready has improved since our first day in San Diego.

It was to be a mostly urban route today, ride across Maricopa County, the home of Phoenix and all its suburbs. We were on the road shortly before 6:00am heading south on Watson for a short distance. We turned east on Broadway for a 5-mile rural stretch. Broadway, ah yes. A distance of 2500 miles and a world of cultural differences separates Broadway of Phoenix and Broadway of NYC. The Broadway of latter is well known. I will share my limited experience with the former. In that short leg of our trip, on three separate occasions, from three different locations, we heard gunfire. Come to think of it, maybe things are not so different in the two places?

We traveled the first 30 miles at a brisk pace meeting Susan two hours later at a Mickey D’s for our second breakfast. It was my first time in a McDonalds in forever. I am not complaining because it was, in fact, a restful stop, in the cool air, with cold water, and a hot meal. We agreed to meet 10 miles later at a Circle K gas station. Susan drove on the roads while Sara and I used the paralleling bike trail. Initially, the trail was nothing more than an abandoned sidewalk with weeds growing out of the gaps in the pavement. As we moved east, the trail improved. Eventually it exited onto Baseline Rd that we used for a mile to the rendezvous point. It was a harrowing mile. We were beeped at several times and the ones that didn’t bother to use their horns showed off their aggressiveness. It was a comfort to pull into the driveway where our black oasis (the van) and St. Susan were waiting.

After a cool down and a bite to eat I asked a few customers and a police officer about road conditions ahead. No one was very helpful, so we stuck to the script. We left Susan for a second time today and in a short easy ride we were on a magnificent concrete trail that ran along a canal for 15 miles. We used almost all of it. The map that I carried had us travel the east-west bike trail until it ended onto a north-south trail. I was unsure of it all, so every once in a while I asked a user about the trail. Of the four people I asked, two of them were first time users. The other two gave me conflicting information. We pressed on, finally arriving at the dead end. It was just that, a dead end. It went nowhere. I did not panic. The bike trail ran parallel to Southern Avenue, a road on our route. So, we doubled back to our last avenue crossing and headed north eventually arriving at Southern Ave. We turned right and were back on track.

Susan met us just three miles from our junction with Southern where we had 14 miles to go. I asked her if she could meet us about 10 miles down the road as the thermometer read 102 and rising. We did hook up with her for the last time just 4 miles from the hotel. After a quick rest, we finished off the final miles in quick fashion.

Tomorrow we head for the mountains of eastern AZ and NM. The air should be 10-15 degrees cooler, a welcome relief. Stay tuned. 

Sunrise on Broadway headed out of Buckeye

No comments:

Post a Comment

George: Epilogue - Sunday, 22OCT’17

It has been exactly one week since Sara and I crossed the corporation limit sign for the town of St. Augustine culminating a 42-day, 2760-m...