Tuesday, September 12, 2017

George: Monday, 11SEP’17 – Apache Junction, AZ to Globe, AZ

All day I face the barren waste without the taste of water,
Cool water.
Sara and I with throats burned dry, and so’s that taste for water,
Cool, clear water.  … Paraphrased

The above lines were composed in 1936, but I first heard them on the “B” side of a January, 1963 recording by the Rooftop Singers. The “A” side was the number one hit, “Walk Right In.” I’ll let you find “Cool Water” on YouTube. I mention the song because just after 6:00am as Sara and I rolled out of the Apache Junction Best Western, I began singing the song. We were now leaving the low lying desert and its oppressive heat for the high mountain desert. The expected highs in the towns ahead of us are going to be 10-15 degrees cooler.

I brought two bicycles with me for this ride, an all weather bike and my favorite one. For the last few days I have been on the latter, my Basso. In the cycling circles of Cincinnati years ago it had the moniker “The Mighty Basso.” The bike doesn’t like it, but it has been moving down the road more slowly these past few years. We had some climbing today, about 2500 feet of it, and the other bike is geared better for climbing. But, it was not raining, or threatening, so I used the Basso.

Specifically about today’s ride, we were to be on US 60 heading east on all but the first three miles of the ride. We entered by way of a freeway-like ramp onto US 60 and almost immediately it changed to a four-lane, divided access highway. The berm was rather skimpy considering the traffic was moving at 65 mph. To make matters worse, every quarter miles, the berm merged to nothing and we had to use the right driving lane for some 300 feet until the berm picked up on the other side. We chose our acceleration points carefully and dealt with the situation.

The 15-mile mark on the route was the exit for SR 79 south. As we approached the exit, I noticed that I was half way through my second water bottle. We had scheduled to meet Susan at the 30-mile mark, but with a significant climb ahead of us, I wasn’t going to make it.  I stopped to call her discovering that she was still at the hotel. I described the situation and she asked if she should come immediately. I told her to take her time but not to pass us by. Before the next hour was up, she showed up to save me. 

We were to do 4000+ feet of climbing today, the second biggest climbing day of the entire tour. The biggest climbing day was behind us on the second day. As it were, we started up after passing the SR 79 exit. The berm improved greatly as the incline rolled under our wheels. We could see the roadway miles ahead as it wound into the foothills and beyond. The traffic moderated, and so as our legs labored to haul us up the hill, we chatted about things.  Ahead was the opening that the road chose to thread as it scaled the long ridge. It is not unusual for the wind to pick up as one approaches a mountain pass. And so it was with Gonzales Pass as US 60 threaded the ridge. On the other side visible below us was the town of Superior. It was mostly downhill from the Pass to the town.

Susan was waiting for us at our last stop of the day. The rest area had a clean, well-shaded picnic area where we ate some snacks and chatted. We stayed there for longer than usual resting and eating, but mostly we stayed while being entertained by Apache, a mutt with a boxer influence. His coat reminded me of Pete, the dog on little rascals, minus the funny eye makeup. When I first walked over to the picnic table, I said to the dog, “I’ll pet you, but I won’t feed you." The owner, who was under his Ford pickup removing the gas tank, without compulsion from me, put the dog in the pickup bed. When I noticed it, I ask why he would imprison the dog. He relented and let the dog roam around the park.  Apache roamed around the place, but stopped frequently for a pat from one of us.

With 8 days under our belt, we are 20% of the way to the Atlantic Ocean. Tomorrow will be our last day in AZ. It is hilly, but mostly in our favor. Stay tuned.

Up to Gonzales Pass

And down into Superior

No comments:

Post a Comment

George: Epilogue - Sunday, 22OCT’17

It has been exactly one week since Sara and I crossed the corporation limit sign for the town of St. Augustine culminating a 42-day, 2760-m...