Saturday, September 9, 2017

Sara: Day 5

Today’s ride from Blythe to Salome was a tough one for me – for no particular reason. The 2500ft ascent was gradual, the route was only 60 miles, and the weather cooperated, but I was fried by the last 10 miles (too fried to take a picture of the “YOU ARE NOW BEYOND HOPE” sign when we passed through Hope, AZ – because I was!) Chips, salsa, and Coronas waited for us on the porch when we rolled into the motel. How does my mom always know exactly what I need?

When my dad mentioned in his post that he “showed Sara the big chainring”, he was being kind. He meant to say he had to shift into the big chainring for me on the side of the highway since I couldn’t figure it out (twice). I’ll add learning how to shift my own bike to the list for tomorrow because this way seems inefficient.

In other news, I ate the best enchilada of my life tonight. Admittedly, it could have had more to do with the fact that I am downright ravenous than the only restaurant in this 200-person town having cracked the code to enchilada making. Either way, if you’re in the area, I recommend the cheese enchiladas from the “café” in Salome, AZ – don’t be deterred by its appearance. 

Headed back to the mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment

George: Epilogue - Sunday, 22OCT’17

It has been exactly one week since Sara and I crossed the corporation limit sign for the town of St. Augustine culminating a 42-day, 2760-m...