Friday, October 6, 2017

Sara: Day 33

Today’s 49 mile ride from Amite City to Bogalusa felt longer than it should have; apparently I was more worn out from the last 3 days than I thought. This morning at breakfast while we were discussing the route, a local approached to let us know that our destination, Bogalusa, is known by folks in the surrounding areas as “Stinkalusa” due to the, apparently unpleasant, smells coming from their paper mill. Well with that ringing endorsement, I was excited to get on the road.

The only smell that caught my attention today was cilantro. We smelled it along almost the whole route – and what a smell it was! I don’t think Louisiana is known for their cilantro production, so it must be something else native to the area. I spent a lot of time thinking about guacamole today.

Our next stop, Gulfport, MS, is directly in Nate’s path. We’re planning to ride tomorrow until we hit too much rain to continue, then retreat north to Hattiesburg to ride out the storm. I’m hopeful we’ll make it to Gulfport, the storm will blow over, and we’ll continue on our merry way Sunday morning, but things don’t typically work out that way for me.

Pretty ride into Franklinton, but too hot for the Safety Yellows

One of the many logging trucks passing us these days

No comments:

Post a Comment

George: Epilogue - Sunday, 22OCT’17

It has been exactly one week since Sara and I crossed the corporation limit sign for the town of St. Augustine culminating a 42-day, 2760-m...