Sunday, October 1, 2017

Sara: Day 28

Breakfast this morning was delicious – spinach omelets made with farm-fresh eggs and toast with homemade agarita jelly. There’s really something to be said for the food at these B&Bs. The cereal I’ve been eating at the complimentary hotel breakfasts just doesn’t power a bike the same way. On that note, has anyone had Froot Loops recently? I don’t know what I was thinking obsessing over them as a kid.

Today’s 60 mile ride from Johnson City to New Braunfels was another pretty but uneventful one, aside from seeing a kitten fallen victim to US 281, which broke my heart. Once we finished the ride, we loaded the bikes and headed for Livingston to officially get back on course to finish this thing. Now that we’re out of the Texas Hill Country, “it’s all downhill to the Atlantic Ocean”, or so I’m told.

The drive back to Livingston took us by San Antonio, so we stopped in town to stroll the River Walk and eat lunch at the restaurant where my parents first tried tableside guacamole some 15 years ago. My dad actually got his guacamole recipe from this place, but, since he’s not one to leave well enough alone, his version is better. The margaritas and food were delicious, particularly the queso, and the setting along the River Walk was pleasant. It was a good stop. 

I’m hoping our next stop is Buc-EE’s for some of those famous Beaver Nuggets. 

Views leaving Johnson City on US 281


Lunch at Iron Cactus in San Antonio

No comments:

Post a Comment

George: Epilogue - Sunday, 22OCT’17

It has been exactly one week since Sara and I crossed the corporation limit sign for the town of St. Augustine culminating a 42-day, 2760-m...